View archival description

Collection CH2/568 - Synod of Glenelg

Identity area

Reference code

GB 232 CH2/568


Synod of Glenelg


  • 1725-1929 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

13 volumes

Context area

Name of creator

Church of Scotland (1560-)

Administrative history

Archival history

On the 19th May 1724, the Synod of Glenelg was disjoined form the Synod of Argyll and erected into a separate presbytery by the General Assembly. The register of the Synod, which met at Kyle of Lochalsh, begins on the 7th July 1725. The four Presbyteries that initially sat within the Synod were: Lochcarron, Skye, Uist and Lewis. By the early 20th cent the Presbyteries within the jurisdiction of Glenelg had been joined with those of the Synods of Ross and of Sutherland and Caithness to form the Synod of Ross, Sutherland and Caithness.
Synods, or Provincial Synods, were courts of the Church of Scotland which came between presbyteries and the General Assembly. There were 12 synods from 1930, and the Presbyteries of Orkney and Shetland held synodical powers. The General Assembly determined how synods were formed of constituent presbyteries. Synods met mostly twice a year, and could hear appeals against decisions from presbyteries.

Synods comprised all (both ministers and representative elders) who were on the rolls of the presbyteries within the synods; and there might have been corresponding members from neighbouring synods. The Synod's main officials were a moderator (effectively chairman) and a Synod officer, as well as one or more clerks. Funds for their work came from an assessment levied on congregations within their bounds.

Duties of the Synod included examination of Presbytery records, after which a report would be sent to the General Assembly touching on matters including the quinquennial investigation, special visitation of congregations (if required), and supervision of general Schemes of the Church. The Synod's own records would be examined by the General Assembly.

Meetings of synods came to be poorly attended, in part because their authority was diminished, and after a full review synods were dissolved as from 1 January 1993.
[Source: National Records of Scotland online catalogue: ]

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Minutes 1725-1929 (7 volumes)

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access


Held by Highland Archives Centre, Inverness, under Charge and Superintendence from the National Records of Scotland

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Paper records

Finding aids

Full catalogue available through National Records of Scotland online catalogue at catalogue reference CH2/568

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Notes area

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion




Rights area

Accession area