View archival description

Collection IN5/9 - Long Island Combination Poorhouse, Lochmaddy, North Uist

Identity area

Reference code

GB3002 IN5/9


Long Island Combination Poorhouse, Lochmaddy, North Uist


  • 1875-1942 (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

15 volumes

Context area

Name of creator

Long Island Combination Poorhouse (1875-1942)

Administrative history

The Poor Law Act of 1845 enabled the construction by parishes or combination of parishes of poorhouses. Pressure put on the Parochial Boards of Barra, South Uist, North Uist and Harris by the Board of Supervision to build a poorhouse was resisted. In 1875, they relented and plans were drawn up by the parishes in combination for the the erection of the Long Island Combination Poorhouse in Lochmaddy, North Uist, designed by Edinburgh architects Kinnear & Peddie. It opened in 1883.

In 1907, the poorhouse was converted for use as an asylum for 28 'harmless lunatics'. Additions to the buildings were made in 1927 to designs by D Cattanach. An infirmary stood to the south-west of the main building with a mortuary to its west.

After 1930, it was known as Long Island Institution and served the whole of the Outer Hebrides except Lewis. In 1946, it had 60 beds including 18 for the chronic sick and the remainder for certified mental cases. A report at that time noted that two bare rooms served as day rooms and dining rooms, and that staff quarters were on the first floor.

The building later became Lochmaddy Hospital which finally closed in around 2001. In 2004, the buildings stood empty.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Internal transfer from Museum nan Eilean (Accn 2011-13)

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Minute books 1875-1942; letter books 1914-1933; cash books 1910-1930; ledgers 1886-1930

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

Arranged into series. Within series, items are arranged chronologically.

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Open. Some records containing personal data are closed for 100 years from the last date in the volume.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Paper volumes

Finding aids

Digital and paper item level list available in searchroom of Tasglann nan Eilean Siar

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

GB3002 IN5/1 Records of Barra Parish Council 1866-1943 (held by Tasglann nan Eilean Siar, Stornoway)

GB3002 IN5/2 Records of Harris Parish Council 1863-1932 (held by Tasglann nan Eilean Siar, Stornoway)

GB3002 IN5/3 Records of North Uist Parish Council 1870-1948 (held by Tasglann nan Eilean Siar, Stornoway)

GB3002 IN5/4 Records of South Uist Parish Council 1878-1968 (held by Tasglann nan Eilean Siar, Stornoway)

Records of Lochmaddy Hospital (held by NHS Western Isles)

Notes area

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion




Rights area

Accession area