View authority record

St Peter’s Episcopal Church, Stornoway

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

St Peter’s Episcopal Church, Stornoway

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



St Peter’s Church, Stornoway, is situated on Francis Street and forms part of the Diocese of Argyll and the Islands within the Episcopal Church of Scotland.
The current church building was built in 1838 and dedicated in 1839 and was consecrated in 1898. The chancel was added in 1954 and the congregation gained incumbency status in 1985.
Previously, the congregation had worshipped at St Columba’s Church, Aignish.
The organ was gifted to the church by Lady Matheson in 1887 and a stained glass window is dedicated to both Sir James and Lady Matheson as benefactors of the church. The oak pulpit came from King's College, London.
Since the reconstruction of St Moluag’s Church at Eoropie, Lewis, in 1912, the Rector of St Peter’s has also been minister at Eoropie.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Description identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes