View authority record

Lochmaddy Hospital

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Lochmaddy Hospital

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



The Poor Law Act of 1845 enabled the construction by parishes or combination of parishes of poorhouses. Pressure put on the Parochial Boards of Barra, South Uist, North Uist and Harris by the Board of Supervision to build a poorhouse was resisted. In 1875, they relented and plans were drawn up by the parishes in combination for the erection of the Long Island Combination Poorhouse in Lochmaddy, North Uist, designed by Edinburgh architects Kinnear & Peddie. It opened in 1883.
In 1907, the poorhouse was converted for use as an asylum for 28 'harmless lunatics'. Additions to the buildings were made in 1927 to designs by D Cattanach. An infirmary stood to the south-west of the main building with a mortuary to its west.
After 1930, it was known as Long Island Institution, serving as a hospital mainly for Harris and North Uist. In 1946, it had 60 beds including 18 for the chronic sick and the remainder for certified mental cases. A report at that time noted that two bare rooms served as day rooms and dining rooms, and that staff quarters were on the first floor. The Institution transferred to the National Health Service on its creation in 1948 after which time it became known as Lochmaddy Hospital.
Lochmaddy Hospital closed in 2001 with its services transferring to the new Uist & Barra Hospital, Balivanich, Benbecula.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Description identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes