View authority record

Lewis Combination Poorhouse

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Lewis Combination Poorhouse

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence



The Lewis Combination was established in 1893 comprising of the parish of Barvas, Lochs, Stornoway and Uig. A poorhouse, designed by James M Thompson of Edinburgh, was built at Coulregrein on the outskirts of Stornoway between 1894 and 1896. The two story building could accommodate 66 inmates with each parish being allocated a specific number of beds reflecting their financial investment in the institution. Stornoway was the biggest contributor. Inmates were referred to the poorhouse by the individuals Parishes who had responsibility for their own poor.
In 1911, the poorhouse was licensed to provide accommodation for patients suffering from mental illness who otherwise were transferred to Inverness.
In 1930, the Poor Law system was abolished. The poorhouse was managed by the Coulregrein House Sub-Committee of Management who reported to Ross & Cromarty County Council, closely linked to the Public Assistance Committee of Lewis District Council.
The house continued until into the 1960s, predominantly caring for the elderly. It was demolished c1990.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Control area

Description identifier


Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes