<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE ead PUBLIC "+//ISBN 1-931666-00-8//DTD ead.dtd (Encoded Archival Description (EAD) Version 2002)//EN" "http://lcweb2.loc.gov/xmlcommon/dtds/ead2002/ead.dtd">

<ead>
<eadheader langencoding="iso639-2b" countryencoding="iso3166-1" dateencoding="iso8601" repositoryencoding="iso15511" scriptencoding="iso15924" relatedencoding="DC">
  <eadid mainagencycode="GB 234" url="http://ica-atom.tasglann.org.uk/index.php/barra-head-lighthouse;ead?sf_format=xml" encodinganalog="Identifier">NLC24</eadid>  <filedesc>
    <titlestmt>
      <titleproper encodinganalog="Title">Barra Head Lighthouse</titleproper>
    </titlestmt>
    <publicationstmt>
      <publisher encodinganalog="Publisher">National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh</publisher>
      <address>
        <addressline>HM General Register House</addressline>
        <addressline>Edinburgh</addressline>
        <addressline>EH1 3YY</addressline>
        <addressline>Telephone: 0131 535 1314</addressline>
        <addressline>Fax: 0131 535 1328</addressline>        <addressline>Email: enquiries@nas.gov.uk</addressline>        <addressline>http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/</addressline>      </address>
      <date normal="2012-10-03" encodinganalog="Date">2012-10-03</date>
    </publicationstmt>  </filedesc>
  <profiledesc>
    <creation>
      Generated by qubit 1.2
      <date normal="2026-08-08">2026-08-08 00:41:UTC</date>
    </creation>
    <langusage>
      <language langcode="eng" encodinganalog="Language">English</language>
    </langusage>
  </profiledesc>
</eadheader>
<!-- TODO <frontmatter/> -->
<archdesc level="collection" relatedencoding="ISAD(G)v2">
  <did>
    <unittitle encodinganalog="3.1.2">Barra Head Lighthouse</unittitle>
    <unitid repositorycode="GB 234"  encodinganalog="3.1.1">GB 234 NLC24</unitid>
    <unitdate datechar="creation" normal="1953/1980" encodinganalog="3.1.3">1953-1980</unitdate>
    <origination encodinganalog="3.2.1">
      <corpname>Commissioners for Northern Lighthouses</corpname>
    </origination>
    <physdesc>
      <extent encodinganalog="3.1.5">1 volume</extent>
    </physdesc>
    <repository>
      <corpname>National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh</corpname>
      <address>
        <addressline>HM General Register House</addressline>
        <addressline>Edinburgh</addressline>
        <addressline>EH1 3YY</addressline>
        <addressline>Telephone: 0131 535 1314</addressline>
        <addressline>Fax: 0131 535 1328</addressline>
        <addressline>Email: enquiries@nas.gov.uk</addressline>
        <addressline>http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/</addressline>
      </address>
    </repository>
  </did>
  <bioghist encodinganalog="3.2.2"><p>The Erection of Lighthouses Act 1786 (26 Geo. III, c.101) founded the Commissioners of Northern Lighthouses (numbering 19), who had the power to borrow money, purchase land, levy dues from ship owners, and to construct lighthouses. The first lighthouse constructed by the NLC was Kinnaird Head, near Fraserburgh, opened in 1787. The jurisdiction of the Commissioners was extended by statute to include the Isle of Man (under the Isle of Man and Calf of Man Lighthouses Act 1815: 55 Geo. III, ch.lxvii) and lighthouses established by burghs and other local authorities under the Lighthouses Act 1836 (6 &amp; 7 Will. IV, c.79), which also made plans for new lighthouses to be built by the Commissioners subject to approval of Trinity House. The powers of Trinity House were strengthened and the funding of lighthouses consolidated into the Mercantile Marine Fund under the Merchant Shipping Law Amendment Act 1853 (16 &amp; 17 Vict., c.131). The Merchant Shipping Act 1894 (57 &amp; 58 Vict., c.60) confirmed the Commissioners of Northern Lighthouses as the authority for lighthouses in Scotland and the adjacent seas and islands, and the Isle of Man. The Merchant Shipping Act 1979 freed the Commissioners from the supervision of Trinity House.

The Northern Lighthouse Board, together with Trinity House (England, Wales and the Channel Isles) and the Commissioners of Irish Lights (Eire and Northern Ireland) are the General Lighthouse Authorities for the United Kingdom and Ireland. Running costs are met from a &#039;General Lighthouse Fund&#039;, financed by the collection of Light Dues paid by commercial ships calling at British and Irish ports, and by fishing vessels over 10 metres in length. The fund, although administered by the Department for Transport, Local Government and the Regions, is entirely self-financing, and receives no grant from the Exchequer. The powers and duties of the General Lighthouse Authorities are laid down in the Merchant Shipping Act 1995 (c.21). All the NLC&#039;s lighthouses have been automated for operational purposes since end March 1998.</p></bioghist>  <scopecontent encodinganalog="3.3.1"><p>The Barra Head lighthouse is situated on the island of Berneray to the south of Barra and is the most southerly point of the Outer Hebrides.  The lighthouse was first lit in 1833 and was automated in 1980.

Visitor album 1953-1980</p></scopecontent>  <controlaccess>
    <corpname role="Creator">Commissioners for Northern Lighthouses</corpname>
    <subject source="">Lighthouses</subject>
    <subject source="">Visitor numbers</subject>
  </controlaccess>
  <phystech encodinganalog="3.4.3"><p>Paper records</p></phystech>  <accessrestrict encodinganalog="3.4.1"><p>Open</p></accessrestrict>  <otherfindaid encodinganalog="3.4.5"><p>Full catalogue available through National Records of Scotland online catalogue at http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk</p></otherfindaid>
  <dsc type="combined">
  </dsc>
</archdesc>
</ead>
